May 24, 2008

My Three New Beading Books

Because there are no local bead stores where I live, my bead shopping is restricted to the once or twice a year that I go up to the states. My recent trip didn't yield much in the way of new beads or findings, but I did get three books that I have wanted for some time now. I trust that Jah will provide the beads, if it is His will that I continue to bead.


Carol Wilcox Wells' second book, The Art and Elegance of Beadweaving, from Lark Books, has been on my wish list since it first came out. I have enjoyed her first book, Creative Beadweaving, since 1994. It was my best source for beading lessons, since I couldn't stretch the budget far enough to include the cost of private lessons. Thank you, Jah, for giving me a teachable brain!




Diane Fitzgerald's book, Zulu Inspired Beadwork, from Interweave Press, shows the traditional Zulu beadworks that inspire her modern translations. She has traveled to Africa to study both Zulu and Xhosa beading techniques. I have already learned the Zulu Flowerette stitch and will probably try the Switch-Back pattern next.


Valerie Hector's book, The Art of Beadwork, from Watson-Guptill Publications, keeps me enthralled for hours at a time. The tag line, Historic Inspiration, Contemporary Design, says it better than I can.

No matter how much time I spend on the computer or with my beadwork, I always love to pick up a good book. Especially ones as well written and illustrated as these three.

0 Shared Thoughts: