January 22, 2009

On The Recovery Road

Mom's visit was such a blessing to me! We only went out together one time, on the Sunday before she left. We drove down to Treasure Beach for an evening with Sistren Winnie at Taino Cove.

While here Mom nursed me, fed me, lotioned my foot, helped me clean out storage areas and organize my dwindling bead stash. She was brave to do the foot thing cuz human flesh that hasn't been washed, loofahed and lotioned for seven weeks nuh pretty, mek mi tell yuh!

For those of you who have been sharing comments and sending emails, texts and healing love, I am happy to report that the cast is finally off and I had my first therapy session yesterday. The two incision sites are healing, but look awful. The scabs are starting to crust off. Both the surgeon and the therapist have said to let them fall off, don't pick at them. As the grandkids say, "Uber Gross!"

I've finished a few pieces of beadwork, but haven't gotten any pictures that I would post. Poor lighting, out of focus, just didn't look right. But hopefully I will have that taken care of soon and you can see what I have finished.

Mom left America with one President in the White House and returned to America just in time to see the swearing in of America's new President, Barack H. Obama. Just like we, who are old enough, will always remember where we were and what we were doing when John F Kennedy was shot and when Nelson Mandela was released from prison in South Africa, I believe we will always remember where we were when we watched the inaugration of America's first Black president.

14 Shared Thoughts:

Leslie Rubio said...

Good to hear that your Mommy visit was nice-a Mom's touch really does mean so much-no matter how old we are-I must say I miss my Mom so much!

Glad you are healing well and are able to get around better.

Email me your home address please...I don't have it!

Leslie

Bongo said...

hey there lady roots ,

good for you , mummy care is always needed :D
glad to hear you're better now and hope you're just great right now :D

i agree with you , some moments can't be forgotten :D

hope to see pics of the new bead works shortly ..
pray 4 me , still having my exams going :D

p.s. : liked the pic of the N'Debele bracelt and the earring .. keep up the good work :D

my best regards,
Bongo

Clay Perry said...

you be sure to behave and do what you're supposed to do... heal and be well... i want to make sure that on my first trip to Jamaica, i get to dance with you on a beach!

Ring by Ring Designs said...

Glad to hear you are recovering and that you had such a nice visit with your Mother. I'm sure it did not seem like a quick recovery to you but seemed to go by fast to those who were not involved.
Keep up with your PT.

Beverly Herman said...

Dear Lady Roots, I know the time with your Mom went by much to fast. I am so glad to hear your cast is off and you are on your way to getting back on your feet.
God bless you!!

BetteJo said...

Glad you are getting up and around - a post-surgical limb is not pretty to look at either! But - it will get better. Keep going!

Anonymous said...

Nice to have you back in the blogging communitiy and that your mom's visit was good!
Looking forward to see your beady news!

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Leslie,
Yes, Mom’s hands-on care had a lot to do with the speed of my recovery. It is always so good to see Mom. I don’t know when I’ll be able to travel again (funny how the finances broke at the same time my ankle did) so I am glad she can fly down here. I love you and I am so thankful for your prayers and your loving spirit.

Sistren Bongo,
Greetings to you and your silent twin! Mommy care is always the best! I am doing better each day and looking forward to the doctor allowing me to begin bearing weight on the ankle. I’ve been doing the therapy exercises so I can get back the range of motion. The therapist recommended a four leg walker for getting around in the house. It is helping me to regain some of the muscle tone in the unused leg. Hope to get some beading pics up soon. I lift you and your exams in prayer. May you do well and use your knowledge wisely.

Idren Clay,
I’m following the doctor’s and therapist’s orders as best I can. The healing is coming along well, but I am reaching the bottom of my patience barrel. I want to be up and about and getting things done, but for now, I am restraining myself. Can’t afford any setbacks. I’ll let you know when to put on those dancing shoes!

Sistren Bev,
My visit with Mom was a healing balm. I give thanks for her prayers, her gentle spirit and her living example of love. I am going to keep up with the therapy because it is my key to getting back up on my feet. I feel confined and constricted because I can’t do the things I usually do. But at least I am back to beading!

Sistren NEB,
You are so right! It seemed like she was here one day and gone again too soon! But I give thanks for any time I get to spend with her. Thanks for the blessings!

Sistren BetteJo,
I am trying to wean myself from the wheelchair to a walker. I need to get more strength back, because I am still having to bear all the weight on one leg. Once I am allowed weight bearing on the repaired ankle, I will have better balance. Since you’ve been down this road before, I look to you for encouragement and advice.

Sistren Dagmar,
I am glad to be back! It was nice to have the break from blogging to focus on being with Mom. I have done some beaded pieces, but the pictures haven’t come out well enough to post on the blog. I’ll keep at it till I get it right. Thanks for the welcome back!

Bless Up,
Lady Roots

Anonymous said...

Hi Lady Roots,

I passed the Lemonade Award, I got from Pearl, on to you, because I think you deserve it so much! Hope you don't mind.

Jules said...

I'm so glad you had a great visit with one another. there is nothing like Mom to care for you when you are not yourself...she knows you like almost no one else! My parents will be here next week so it is a flurry of activity, anxiety and excitement! I feel like I am walking around carrying the whirlwind...but it will all work out in the long run. :-)
I hope your recovery continues quickly and that before you know it you are up and around and doing all that you want to do.
Much Love,
Jules

Unknown said...

Haven't been here in a while and only to come back to find out you were injured. Sorry to hear that, but very glad to know you are making a good recovery. Hope you will be back to normal soon.

Anonymous said...

Long time nuh stop by, so mi jus a hail yuh up.I man a hope seh di ankle a feel much betta nuw.Nuff respect!!

Jules said...

Just checking in as I hadn't heard from you in a long time. I was worried. Hope you are well and everything is going ok. Miss you.
xo xo

LADY ROOTS said...

I want to take a moment to say a heartfelt thanks to all of you who have stopped by, shared your thoughts, lifted me in prayer and stopped by again, even tho I haven't been posting lateley. The therapy is more demanding that I could have envisioned. Please keep praying for me and my recovery. I hope to post more regularly in the future.

Bless Up,
Lady Roots