February 18, 2009

Inspired By Sistren Bev


I was inspired by Sistren Bev Carlson of Bev’s Jewelry to learn kumihimo, the art of braiding multiple cords to create a stronger, more decorative cording.

The kumihimo tutorials I googled were videos. Since I connect to the internet via a web-enabled cell phone that provides a blazing dial up connection speed of 28.8 kbps, it takes 6-7 hours to download a 4 minute video. Sistren Bev understood my plight and e-mailed a link to a kumihimo diagram tutorial.

I made a disk from cardboard for my trial attempts. I used new shoe laces for the cording material. The resulting cord is thick and I will use it as a luggage ID tie. For my next kumihimo project I bought embroidery thread, which will result in a narrower cord.

Thank you, Sistren Bev, for the link, for the inspiration and for the encouragement!

11 Shared Thoughts:

Ring by Ring Designs said...

You are very welcome. Kumihimo is such fun and since I learned from friends it wasn't much of a stretch to help another friend. I really like the look of your first piece. You will be surprised when you use smaller cords. You might consider getting a foam disk if you really like the technique. Then you'll be ready to add beads.

BetteJo said...

The internet is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the tutorial with us, Bev and Lady Roots! I didn't have this pattern yet.
Bev, you were again very helpful, as it seems. Thank you again for the help to get started with chain maille. I appreciated that!

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Bev,
Jamaicans have a saying, "Each one, teach one."

You are going above and beyond, helping me with kumihimo and helping Sistren D from Kokopelli with chain maille. I am making a disk out of several foam plates to try the embroidery thread. Do you put beads on all eight stands?

Sistren BetteJo,
Yes, the internet is wonderful and folks who graciously share knowledge are phenomenal!

Sistren Dagmar,
Do you have any other kumihimo patterns to share? I will stick with the 8 strand pattern for now, just experimenting with putting the colours at different places on the disk. Congratulations on your upcoming classes!

Bless Up,
Lady Roots

Jules said...

You never fail to amaze me...I love this. If I wasn't so busy figuring out how to work with chain I would be tempted to try....maybe soon. :-)
xo xo

Jdid said...

looks nice

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Jules,
Glad you like it. Are you working with lengths of chain or making chain maille? I've set up my second kumihimo disk, this time using embroidery threads.

Idren Jdid,
Thanks!

Bless Up,
Lady Roots

Jules said...

Lady Roots,

So far I am just working with lengths of chain but am working towards the chain maille. I've come this far so I have to at least try it! :-)
I hope you will keep us posted on your next attempt, I would love to see it.

xo xo

Karin Bartimole said...

Your patience and perseverance have paid off, not to mention the good tutoring! it's beautiful and now you have a wonderful new skill for sure!!
Blessings,
Karin

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Jules,
I’m doing the kumihimo braiding between the beadwork projects. I can follow the basic 8-thread pattern, but the bobbins keep getting tangled. Sistren Dagmar of Kokopelli Designs does some fantastic chain maille.

Sistren Karin,
I think it would take a lot more practice before I could really call it a skill. But I know I’ll get better at it as I go along.

Bless Up,
Lady Roots

Leslie Rubio said...

So nice-wouldn't everyone like a bag tag like this one? I know I would. Bev, she's so sweet and a great beading artist too. I'm so glad that I met you both-though I haven't met Bev in person yet, I'm sure the opportunity will present itself in the future.

Hang in there LR, keep doing what you do and know that I love you.

Leslie