November 19, 2008

Crutches or a Wheelchair, Miss?


Those were the options offered to me at Hargreaves Hospital.

I slipped and fell, breaking my right ankle in three places. The closest hospital is over an hour away via rough, pothole-riddled roads. I think I only screamed out loud two or three times.

Glad to say I am no longer in agony, thanks to multiple injections and pain pills. The unavoidable surgery to put two metal plates and 7-8 screws in my ankle is scheduled for next Tuesday.

This is going to put a real crimp in my plans. I had a private jewelry show scheduled for the employees of JMMB (Jamaica Money Market Brokers), an invitation to a Thanksgiving dinner in Mandeville at the home of a lovely woman who knows how to entertain and has the resources to do it well, a visit from Kingston by two of my Loyal Readers, and all the holiday sessions that our sound system has booked.

The outside world is going to have to I-tinue to spin without Lady Roots for a while. Doc said at least 6 months before I can expect normal mobility.

I am giving Thanks to Jah that it was my right ankle and not my right wrist. I don't want to imagine 6 months without beading!

22 Shared Thoughts:

The Beading Gem said...

That's the spirit! Looking at the bright side, you have six months of intensive beading (and healing)! Take care.

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Pearl,

Thanks for helping me see the bright side! I do hope to bead up a storm, since I won't be able to do much more than that.

Keep me in your prayers as I heal.

Bless Up,
Lady Roots

Leslie Rubio said...

Lady R- I wondered where you were as I hadn't seen a new blog in awhile or any comments on my blog from you.

I am so sorry to hear about your ankle, but I am happy that you are OK! Thanks be To God for that!

I will pray for healing and recovery and I wish you well in your surgery-that must have been some kind of fall you had.

I'm glad that you got some medicine to keep you out of pain and that there are doctors that can fix and make you well again.

I LOVE you very much and I will pray for you to heal quickly and for lots of inspiration for the many beading projects that you will no doubt begin during this time of recovery.

I love you sister, take care of yourself!

Blessings,
Leslie

Di said...

Oh my goodness!!! I am praying for a quick and complete recovery!

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Leslie,

Yes, I was out of touch for a while there.

Thanks for your love and your prayers. I am so glad you are my friend.

I love you,

Bless Up,
Lady Roots

Morpheus Rablings said...

@Lady Roots
Have faith and be strong.

Where faith is there is courage, there is fortitude, there is steadfastness and strength... Faith bestows that sublime courage that rises superior to the troubles and disappointments of life, that acknowledges no defeat except as a step to victory; that is strong to endure, patient to wait, and energetic to struggle... Light up, then, the lamp of faith in your heart... It will lead you safely through the mists of doubt and the black darkness of despair; along the narrow, thorny ways of sickness and sorrow, and over the treacherous places of temptation and uncertainty.... James Allen

Walk Good

Jennifer C. said...

Sorry to hear about your broken foot. Praying for a quick healing. Happy it wasn't your wrist either. That would've really been bad.

Keep the positive vibes and up lifted spirit and you will recover quickly.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to read about your ankle. Let me join in and wish you a speedy, restful, bead inspired GOD blessed recovery. Thank Jah for your husband to help when and where he can.

Blessings

Mark & Niecey

Jules said...

Oh no! I feel so bad that you were hurt. I probably would have screamed out loud a few more times than you did. I will pray for a speedy recovery and that solutions to all of your questions/invitations will be forth coming. I hate that we are so far apart - there isn't much in the way of help that I can offer. I can hardly wait to see what this recuperation time produces as far as your beading...:-). Be good to yourself, ok?

I had been wondering where you were.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I also wondered, where you were. As I'm looking at your blog to see more of your fantastic beading and there was NOTHING for several days!
I'm so sorry about your ankle and hope that recovery time flies by with beading. I sent two guardian angels to take care of you!

Dagmar

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Di, Idren Morpheus, Sistren JC, Idren Mark & Sistren Niecey, Sistren Jules, and Sistren Dagmar,

I am so uplifted by your comments, your concern, your prayers and your love. Each of you are precious to me in your own way.

I probably won't be able to bead much until after the surgery next Tuesday. It is hard to sit in one position for too long and I am unable to reposition myself without help.

My husband is really living up to his marriage vows of "for better or for worse, in sickness and in health".

I thank Jah that He brought us together and kept us together over the past 29 years.

Please pray I-tinually (without ceasing) for my physical and spiritual healing.

Bless Up,
Lady Roots

Jules said...

I will continue to keep you in my prayers, promise. You will especially be kept close on Tuesday.

Ring by Ring Designs said...

Sorry to hear about your ankle. Your faith will help you with your healing as will all the prayers from your many friends.
And your beading will help with your extra time.
God Bless.
Bev

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Jules,
Thank you, dear one, for lifting me in prayer. Yes, Tuesday is the day for my surgery. I go for a chest Xray and ECG today in preparation.

Sistren Bev,
Yes, faith and prayer are both powerful healers. Once surgery is over, I do plan on lots of beading!

Thank you both for visiting and caring.

Bless Up,
Lady Roots

Leanne Pizio said...

Hey Lady Roots,
I have come over from Leslie's blog to offer up my good wishes and many prayers for a really quick healing time and an easy painless surgery. I will keep you in my thoughts on Tuesday.
Leanne

Clay Perry said...

you had better get well soon! i'm sending positive thoughts to you each day..

Amy Gethins Sullivan said...

~ I am so sorry to find you~ with your ankle in pain~
But~ the very word "patient", which you are right now~a patient~ tells you, to have "patience", for your recovery.
Meaning, it takes time to get better.Time to heal. And, that does take time.~ The more time that you allow for this~ the better you will heal.~And, if you don't do it right the FIRST time~ Then you will not have gotten better and will have to revisit this unhealed ankle over & over again.

I hope that was not to much of a speech~ But, I do want you to take care and let your ankle get really better.
~Be Patient~
Blessings,
~Amy~

Jules said...

Just wanted to take a minute to check in on you and let you know that I was thinking of you this evening. Let you know that I was lifting you up in prayer and sending many hugs your way. I hope you are holding up and in just a few days you will be on your way to recovery. Be good to yourself and take care.

N'Drea ~ the Storyteller said...

Sorry for being so late in learning of your accident, sistren. But I'm glad it wasn't any worse, and that you'll be able to continue your marvelous work. Hope you'll recover quickly.

Keeping you in my thoughts.

Bless up and stay strong, sistren.

BetteJo said...

Stopped by to commiserate with you - I broke all 3 bones in my ankle about 10 years ago - sounds like you're getting even 1 more plate than I got! But I had surgery the next morning, didn't wait any longer than that.

Anyway, I know how miserable it is - how painful (until it's set and stabilized) and how difficult it makes everything for quite a while!

Make sure you follow all instructions and don't try to walk on it too early or anything. I got probably 95% range of motion back in mine - it's a serious injury and you need to let it heal completely.

I'll be thinking of you - hope it goes quickly and smoothly for you. :)

ja stu sisterlock journey said...

Hope u r copeing and all the best as you do the operation tomorrow,you are going to be just good.

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Leanne, Idren Clay, Sistren Amy, Sistren Jules, Sistren N'Drea, Sistren BetteJo & Sistren JaStu Sisterlocks,

This may be my last chance to post comments before surgery tomorrow. I want to say a heartfelt thank you to each of you for stopping by, wishing me well and most of all for your healing prayers.

Your love and prayers have lifted my spirits. I am a strong believer in the power of loving prayer.

Again, thank you all,

Bless Up,
Lady Roots