November 9, 2008

Variation On A Theme

The bracelet on the left is the original. The faux pearls are lined up diagonally.

I was wearing the original and someone wanted one "just like it". To keep my pledge of making only OOAK (one of a kind) pieces, I designed hers with the faux pearls in a zigzag. Even tho it doesn't show, the toggle clasps are different, too. Hers has a spiral of faux pearls across the top of the toggle clasp, while mine was plain. The stitch used in creating the bracelet is N'debele.

4 Shared Thoughts:

Anonymous said...

This is quite lovely! How long have you been beading? I started a few years ago, but since I don't make a living off it, its really become a "when me feel like it" habit. I promised that i would take it more seriously this year, but things like - cyaa find a drill press fi drill di hole dem; when mi affi go all di way cross di island fi go pick up di bead dem from under di one tree whe' mi sure bout - just mek me w'aa kiss me teet and cyaa bodda sometimes. But I keep refilling the stash anyway, jus' in case me change me mind.

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren LongBench,

Thanks for stopping by and for the compliment.

I first got interested in beading while living in Florida in the early 90's. The 80-hour executive work week didn't allow much free time, so mostly I read beading books to become familiar with various stitches and techniques.

It is only since moving to Jamaica in 1997 that I have had the time to devote to beading.

Mi eat a food fram di compooter dem. Beading is my way of letting other people pay me to have fun. I'll never make a living at it, but my sales pay for new materials.

I've always felt that the true secret to happiness was to find the thing in life about which you are passionate enough to do it for free....and then get someone to pay you to do it!

When I bead, I chant and pray and I-ditate and fill up my soul! I can't imagine my life without a beading needle in my hand and a prayer in my heart!

What kind of seed do you use?

Bless Up,
Lady Roots

Anonymous said...

I don't know wha' dem name. I just know that they are small and varying shades of red; they are used in the necklaces sold to tourists. I first saw them "raw" when I went hiking in the blue mountains a couple years ago, and later discovered that there's a tree by the river that runs behind my in-laws' place in St. Thomas. so I pretend to visit them, when is really seeds me go fi pick up. I combine them with another large seed I found (its used to make rattles and that spinning toy with the string?)and with sterling silver beading and wire; fairly simple, but elegant. Now if I can only get up the nerve to sell them rather than give them away!

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren LongBench,

I have seen the red seeds you described used in jewelry, but they are usually just strung on bead cord. Natural seeds combined with sterling silver sounds like an amazing combination!

Would you be willing to post a picture of one of your designs on your blog? (even if it was only there long enuff for me to see it and then you could delete it, if needs be.) I love seeing other beaders designs.

Thank you for your loyal readership and please stop by again soon.

Bless Up,
Lady Roots