June 11, 2008

It Was A Long Day

The cellphone alarm jangled at 4:30am, alerting me that I had just 90 minutes to be on the road.

The medical lab opened at 7:00am and allowing an hour for the trip into Mandeville meant that 6:00am should see me driving out the gates. Knowing that eight or nine vials of my blood were going to be suctioned from my veins did nothing to motivate me to hasten the journey.

The pre-test fasting was not as difficult as missing the morning cup of coffee with my husband. That quiet time together at the start of our day is precious to me.

My past experiences with donating blood or having blood drawn for tests have not been pleasant, so my anxiety level was rising, the closer we got to Mandeville. Deep breathing and prayer gave me the strength to push open the doors to the lab. Being the first one there, I was quickly summoned into the Phelebotomy room. Racks of vials and specimen bottles filled the room.

Carol was humorous, competent and empathetic. She found the vein on the first try, made gentle jokes throughout the process and made sure I knew what she was doing and why. Even when I had to return after two hours for additional blood to be drawn, she made me feel comfortable.

Thank you, Jah, for leading me to Carol and thank you, Carol, for your gentle care.

2 Shared Thoughts:

Miss S. said...

Yes, I fast a couple times per year for religious reasons. If I remember, I try to wean myself off of caffeine a few days before the fast...makes it a bit easier. :-)

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Miss Shona,

Thanks for that tip. Since there are more tests pending, I will keep that in mind.

Would you be willing to share information on how fasting is a part of Reform Judaism? Is fasting a required part of the observance?
Is it a complete fast, abstaining from all intake?

Does fasting impact you spiritually or only physically? Thanks for any insight you would be willing to share.

Please visit again soon.

Bless Up,
Lady Roots