December 2, 2008

One Week Post-Op

Jah is good to me. He has brought me thru another trial, standing by my side and holding my hand in His.

Surgery was last Tuesday and it was just a bit more extreme than expected.

I ended up with ten screws in my ankle instead of the 7 to 8 they had originally anticipated. If you look at the diagram you will see what I was told would be done.

In addition to the screws you see there, they added a second cancellous screw and then had to place a stabalizing screw that went from the front to the back of my ankle.

I have an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow to check the multiple incision sites for inflammation before they put on a fiberglass cast that will be on for 5-6 weeks.

I still feel weak after only an hour or so, but I think it may be due to the painkillers I have been taking. Getting my strength and stamina back is a high priority for me now.

Thank you seems so inadequate for all the love, prayers, e-mails, and calls I have gotten from you. Each of you, in your own way, has helped me during this challenge. I will be forever grateful for each of you.

15 Shared Thoughts:

Jdid said...

sound like a rough piece a surgery. wishing you the best sistren

Jules said...

I was so glad to see this post. I was getting worried. I am grateful that you came through it well and hope that you will rest and be good to yourself.

Anonymous said...

Lady Roots,

sooooo good that you're back! Wish you the best.

LADY ROOTS said...

Idren Jdid,
Thanks for the "get well" wishes. I wouldn't even want this to happen to someone I didn't like.

Sistren Jules,
Yes, my dear friend, I am taking it slow and resting when my body tells me to. I want to let go of the painkillers as quickly as possible, but the doc says for now they are necessary to prevent me from tensing (sp?) the muscles too tightly.

Sistren Dagmar,
Doing better and giving thanks for concerned friends like you! Your beaded guardian angels bring me joy.

Bless Up,
Lady Roots

The Beading Gem said...

Great to see you well enough to be blogging!Get well soon!

Leslie Rubio said...

Good to hear you are doing better! I'm so glad that you are up and about if even for just a short amount of time.

Resting is a big part of HEALING so you MUST do this for yourself and it is necessary in order to heal properly. I'm glad you have the painkillers to ease the discomfort and to help you rest!

A cast will help with mobility and to protect the ankle while it heals!

Blessings to you always. God is good!

Love,
Leslie
PS-I love the Jamaican word "blinkies" for fireflies-that's just what they do-BLINK!

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Pearl,
Thanks for stopping by to see how I am doing. I can sit up for about an hour or so b4 I begin to feel weak and have to lay back down. Each day I gain a bit more strength. I will be so happy when the creativity begins to flow again. I guess everything I have just now has to go towards the healing process.

Sistren Leslie,
I am making sure to follow the Doc's orders regarding rest and healing. Jah is holding me in His loving arms while I go thru this. Rootsman has been so helpful with everything. He has been doing all his work and all of mine without a word of complaint. I will put the FOJ hummingbird graphic on the blog in the next few days. Much love to you!

Bless Up,
Lady Roots

BetteJo said...

Just remember that while a broken ankle sounds minor, the breaks, the surgery, it's all a huge shock to your body. You're probably going to have to give up some of the control you normally have so you can let people help you way more than you would normally be comfortable with.
I didn't have a computer when I broke mine, I hope yours is at least something to keep you occupied while you are forced to be immobile.
Oh, and getting your strength back is important - but so is healing. Give your body a little time.
Take care!

Clay Perry said...

its good to see you back & to hear that you are following orders... get better & be peaceful, i am pulling for your recovery to be easy, graceful, and full of love...

ja stu sisterlock journey said...

Hi there,
good to hear from you, I kept checking your blog for up dates,glad you were able to stop by to tell us about your progress,keep getting well.

Blessings and nuff love.

Anonymous said...

This is big time surgery!!Praying for you and wishing you a fast recovery.Just stay strong and steadfast and Jah will take care of you and your family.Nuff respect!!

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren BetteJo, I am taking your advice since you have trod this painful road b4 me. Realizing how much I resent the "giving up control" aspect of this, makes me wonder if ththat is is the message Jah has for me. I can stop being in charge of everything, because He has it in His hands. And trust me, I have been in charge of nothing but praying and sleeping since I fell.

Idren Clay, Your good wishes lift me in joy! I am being an obedient (if impatient) patient. I follow the doc's RX completely. May your life be filled with green-on-top days! I pray for your entire family.

Sistren JaStu Sisterlocks, Thanks for the check-in. Each day brings another victory, another small move towards additional mobility. I won't push past the medical recommendations, because I don't want to reinjure myself thru haste.

Idren Esteban,
I have placed myself fully in Jah's loving hands. He will bring me thru the fire! Thanks for the visit and your prayers.

Bless Up,
Lady Roots

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Juliee/Julissa,
Thanks for stopping by to visit. I hope you return often enough to become a Loyal Reader. Your blog left no way to contact you.
Bless Up,
Lady Roots

N'Drea ~ the Storyteller said...

Welcome back, sistren. Glad you made it through safely. You're still in my thoughts. May your recovery be speedy and smooth. (((HUGS)))

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren N'Drea,
Yes, I am came thru surgery and am doing better each day. I stopped taking the pain pills, so I hope the brain fog will soon lift and the creativity return. I am so loving those (((HUGS))) you sent!
Bless Up,
Lady Roots