March 1, 2009

My First Beaded Piece

This is the first beaded piece I ever completed. It is a peyote stitch amulet bag done in silver-lined clear and gold size 6 beads with size 10 gold seed bead embellishments. The King Tut charm is a gold-toned metal. The pyramid is off-centered, because I hadn't yet learned the importance of using odd-count peyote to center a design.


In this piece I can see all the mistakes a self-taught, new beader would make. When I place it by a newly beaded piece, I can also see my growth as a beader, if only in mastering certain stitches.

When I first started beading, I didn't finish anything. I would begin a project, brimming with enthusiasm! Then reality, tangled threads, lack of experience, frustration, and life would intrude. I would cut the piece up, pull out fragments of Nymo or Silamide from the beads, rebag the beads, awaiting my next foray into beading frustration. Remember, back then we didn't have a loving, supportive internet beading community I could turn to for help.

I am so thankful that I didn't let the rough start turn me away from beading. It has been such a blessing to me over these past few years.

9 Shared Thoughts:

Jules said...

I'm so glad that you didn't let frustration win either! Gives me hope that I might some day actually figure out how to do what you do. plus you might not have ended up doing this blog making it less likely for us to have "met". :-) Off center or not I still like this piece too. I think it's lovely.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I agree! When I look at my first beaded pieces, I think to myself: How simple! or What a poor performance of this technique! But I'm also glad that I didn't give up beading. Being creative got me through rough times and makes me happy!

BetteJo said...

I can see how that could be very frustrating to learn. I don't have the patience to even try. It takes a lot of dedication to get good at something like that!

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Jules,
When you, C, P, & J come down to Jamaica, we will sneak in a few beading sessions. Decide which of the posted pieces you like the best and we will work on teaching you that stitch first. Other stitches can be learned during future trips down. Even if I never blogged once, Jah was going to guide our footsteps to a mutual path. Our friendship was meant to be! Glad you liked the amulet bag, even with all it's shortcomings.

Sistren D,
You are so fortunate to be the heir to a creative legacy from your beloved GrandFather. I am always blown away by how many different crafts you have mastered!

BetteJo,
I started buying beading books and patterns in 1994. Spent almost two years reading before I picked up my first beading needle. I'm a slow learner, but once I've got it...it's mine for life!

Bless Up,
Lady Roots

Ring by Ring Designs said...

Thanks for sharing your first piece. It is always good to have things like that to show your progress. I guess it means I shouldn't give up on beading either. Though, like Bette Jo I lack the patience. Your pieces are lovely.

The Beading Gem said...

Consider me impressed! That was a really good first time project.

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Bev,
I feel good about my growth as a beader. What beading stitches have you tried? Please don’t give up on it. I can see some beaded beads woven into one of your chain maille bracelets. Thanks for the I-tinual support and encouragement.

Sistren Pearl,
I am thrilled that you are impressed!

Bless Up,
Lady Roots

Unknown said...

You are so creative, you inspire me. I love your amulet bag. My sister is getting married in August in Jamaica and can just see me wearing it. You have a natural creative talent.

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Threadin'Along,

Thank you for your kind words. Jah has indeed blessed my hands to create with beads. I am glad you like the amulet bag.

I pray that your sister's wedding will be beautiful and that her marriage will be heaven-blessed. Will you be coming to Jamaica for the wedding?

Bless Up,
Lady Roots