March 13, 2009

Seven Stitches


Like many beaded pieces, I started this with one direction in mind and ended up following the beading muse to a totally different and unintended destination.

A one-, two- and three-drop peyote seed bead and bugle bead bracelet was what I started. Fifteen or so rows into it, I realized that since I was using bugle beads, which are notorious for cutting threads, I should have doubled the thread. Instead of undoing it, I rolled it into a tube and it became the bail around the one tortoise shell ring that was left after this piece was finished.

The tube alone lacked something, so I kept beading. One thing led to another and it became a pendant using ladder, brick, and flat N’debele stitches. I wanted the chain to be made of the same beads, but I didn’t want it to be boring. The center piece of the chain is tubular N’debele that transitions to a spiral rope stitch. The transition point is covered with tubes of one- and two-drop peyote.

A magnetic clasp is hidden in a tube of ladder-stitched bugle beads with N’debele spears on each side.

10 Shared Thoughts:

Ring by Ring Designs said...

I like where the muse took you.

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Bev,

Thanks! I've never regretted following her.

Bless Up,
Lady Roots

Betty BeadBug said...

This is absolutely lovely!

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren BBB,

And I am absolutely delighted that you like it!

Bless Up,
Lady Roots

Summer said...

Absolutely lovely:) Not just the stitched, but the colors. I'm so used to seeing such the bright colors you usually use in your work that I was especially struck by this necklace. Amazing:)

The Beading Gem said...

You're one talented lady!

Anonymous said...

I agree with all the ladies commenting before me! This necklace is beautiful!!!! You ARE talented!

Unknown said...

I look foward to visiting with you.
Love it, Love it,
It's like going to my favorite museum.

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Summer,
Thanks for the visit and the kind words. I hope you come back again soon. Of all your posted pieces, my favorites are the Star of David pin, the triangle pin and the Cattleya Orchid. Great work!

Sistren Pearl,
Jah can indeed work wonders thru His children!

Bless Up,
Lady Roots

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Dagmar (Kokopelli),
Thanks for the kind words. It is a delight to receive a compliment from an artisan as gifted as you are!

Sistren Threadin' Along,
Keep returning, please. I hope you always find something that makes you feel good.

Bless Up,
Lady Roots