March 5, 2009

Small Victories

Since breaking my ankle in November, I have had to swallow my pride along with my independence and rely on others to do things for me that I used to do for myself. It has been humbling in the extreme.

I have grimaced, winced, sung and prayed my way thru my therapy sessions to regain my range of motion, endurance, strength and balance. I need to get back up on my feet again!

I am giving thanks for small victories.

This has been a week of “firsts” for me. First unassisted shower. First time I could make up the bed in the morning. First time I could wash my own clothes. First time I could brew a pot of coffee for our morning coffee time.

Granted, each endeavor left me weak, sweaty, and trembling. But I am doing what I couldn’t do last week.

Thank you, Jah, for the gift of healing you are giving me each day.

10 Shared Thoughts:

Betty BeadBug said...

Hooray! Before you know it you will be doing all of those things again without even giving it a second thought...then it will be time for dancing on the beach! I am so happy for you.
xo

BetteJo said...

Really, it's all the little things we do everyday that we are so grateful to be able to do again. It also makes you SO aware of how many movements are actually required to do even the little things. Glad you are making such wonderful progress!

Morpheus Rablings said...

"What thwarts us and demands of us the greatest effort, is also what can teach us the most."
Matthew Arnold

Walk Good

Betty BeadBug said...

Lady Roots,

I left you an award on my blog.

xo,
Jules

The Beading Gem said...

It's wonderful you are now up and about! I'm sure this time next week, you will be even stronger.

Leslie Rubio said...

Victory for you! I'm sure that so many of us take for granted ALL of the little things that we do for ourselves...would that we couldn't do these tasks ourselves it would be so hard...to rely on others for everything...very humbling indeed. Thanks be to God for those who help during these times and for the LOVE they must surely feel for us.
Keep your spirit high and taking little steps along the way.

xoxo,
Leslie

Pepper said...

thats good to hear Lady Roots

rooting for yah

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren BBB,
I had another therapy session today and was able to complete a full set of weight-bearing exercises. I even walked up two steps! The beach is one of my goals and an incentive to keep pressing on when things get rough. Your loving support is precious to me.

Sistren BetteJo,
You are so right. I never thought I would feel gratitude for the ability to wash clothes and make the bed. But even the most mundane things become wonderful when I do them for the “first” time. Without therapy (beyond the toe alphabet), how did you know when it was time to start unassisted walking?

Idren Morphius,
This is going to be my PhD in life, cuz hit a thwart mi fi true! But I’m going to keep giving it my best effort so I can walk unassisted one day.

Sistren Pearl,
I can get up long enough to complete one task, then I have to rest before attempting the next thing. I am working on building my stamina. Each day I give thanks for the progress I am making.

Secret Diary,
Thanks for the visit and I hope you return again soon.

Sistren Leslie,
Your love and prayers lift me! Giving thanks for every victory! I am so grateful for the assistance I’ve gotten from my husband during this tribulation. Some would have disappeared when things got thick. I’ll keep taking the little steps til I can take the big ones!

Sistren Pepper,
Good to know you are rooting for me, even while you are dealing with your long distance issues! Hold your head up, Dawta, unno soon outshine dem all.

Bless Up,
Lady Roots

N'Drea ~ the Storyteller said...

Thank goodness for firsts. SO happy that you're recovering nicely.

Bless up, sistren.

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren N'Drea,
Yes, I am getting a little better each day. Thanks for the I-tinual support.
Bless Up,
Lady Roots