March 23, 2009

Southwest Sparkle

The colour combination of turquoise and orange evokes images of the American Southwest. It makes me think of the turquoise and silver jewelry made by Native American Navajo tribal artisans.


This bracelet was stitched with the N'debele stitch using silver-lined clear, turquoise and orange seed beads. One side of the N'debele tube is an embellishment of the turquoise and orange seed beads. The toggle is ladder and netting stitches covering two clear acrylic buttons. The closure loop is peyote stitched with a row of orange beads blanket stitched along the edge for added stength.

14 Shared Thoughts:

Summer said...

Gorgeous... it looks like it must sparkle wonderfully in the sunlight!

BetteJo said...

Very nice! Pretty!

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Summer,
It does indeed sparkle! I just wish I had the equipment and talent to catch the sparkle in the photo. Thanks for the compliment.

(Yes, Idren Morpheus, if you are reading these comments, I did look at the link you gave me. It dealt mostly with trying to sell LED lighting equipment. Mi jus haffi mek do wit mi likkle DXG 5.1 megapixel camera and JahJah sunlight.)

Sistren BetteJo,
Thanks. Glad you like it.
On a side note...I am bopping about in the house on crutches.

Bless Up,
Lady Roots

Jules said...

I think it is lovely. Your talent never ceases to amaze me.

Casey M said...

Gorgeous. I really like the toggle you used, it's so unique! Did you bead around something for the strap of the bracelet? It looks almost like a bangle because it keeps it shape so well.

Casey M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

This is a beautifull bracelet.

I have been away so long It took me a minute to read your response about the LED light.

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Jules,
Glad you like it. I am only the conduit thru which Jah's unlimited talent and beauty flow. He is my unending source!

Sistren Casey M,
Great eye! I beaded the five-sided N'debele tube with nothing in it. Because I opened one of the sides with the turq/orange bead embellishments, it was too floppy. To maintain the shape I inserted a length of clear aquarium tubing. Because the tubing is clear and is next to the silver-lined clear beads, you can't see the tube, even when you look straight into the opening! I'm thrilled you like it!

Bless Up,
Lady Roots

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful piece! I love Southwestern jewelry, as it has a special meaning to me and I admire these artisans, as I admire your beading talent.

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Dagmar (Kokopelli),

A reverence for the traditions of our artisan elders is vital to keeping any craft alive.

Yes, I can bead! But you create beauty in so many different medium; beading, wireweaving, chain maille, knotwork! It is I who salute your multiple talents.

Bless Up,
Lady Roots

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Threadin' Along,

Glad you like the bracelet. The patios (without translation) was for someone who I know could read it. Usually, if I am posting for patois and non-patois speakers I add a translation. But, gal, if unno gwine cum backa yaad, unnu fi lun back di patois, nuh tru? (But, sisterfriend, if you are coming back to Jamaica, you should learn patois again, right?)

Bless Up,
Lady Roots

Terje said...

Really nice!

Francesca Romana ALEGI said...

well, many many compliments, beautiful, beautiful!
Never been in Jamaica even if I was conceived in jamaica, and to tell you the truth I'm afraid to come and visiting ... maybe i can decide to remain!

Kokopelli said...

My friend, your comment made me blush! Thank you so much!