February 18, 2008

Fiesta Zulu Square Tube

Click thumbnail to open larger image in a different window.





I have struggled with the Zulu square tube stitch.

Not with the learning curve, because Nancy Zellers’ instructions and diagrams in the February 2007 issue of Bead and Button magazine were easy to read and follow. Thanks, Nancy, for sharing! The inadequacy is mine entirely.

My struggle with the Zulu square tube was that I just could not get a “riddim” (rhythm) going. With peyote, N’debele, or brick stitch I can just bead and flow and bead and chant and bead and pray and bead and chill and bead and lyme and bead and iditate and bead and bead and it just feels so good in my hands, in my head and in my heart.

Not so with the Zulu square tube. It is just like the struggle I have with the RAW (right angle weave) stitch. I have learned the TECHNIQUES of both stitches, but neither of those stitches gives me the soul balm I feel when I bead peyote, N’debele or brick.

Even though I really like the end results of my efforts with the RAW and Zulu square tube techniques, when my soul needs comfort I will probably continue to turn to my tried and true favorites.

For those of my readers who are also beaders, what beading stitch gives your soul the greatest comfort?

0 Shared Thoughts: