February 28, 2008

You Say Meme, I Say Meme

Shortly after being awarded my first Blog Brag Badge, I have been tagged for my first meme by Sistren Irie Diva of Irie Diva Rambles.

She was also gracious enough to provide an explaination of what a meme is. To quote her comment, "...according to wiki a meme (IPA: rhyming with "theme". Commonly pronounced in the US as rhyming with "gem"), coined in 1976 by the biologist Richard Dawkins, refers to a "unit of cultural information" which can propagate from one mind to another in a manner analogous to genes" which colloquially translates to "an idea, project, statement or even a question that is posted by one blog and responded to by other blogs"."

I had seen the term several times, but was never sufficiently motivated to find out what it involved. Thank you, Sistren Irie Diva, for teaching me. "Each one, teach one!"

Here is my list of 8's.

8 Things I Am Passionate About:

1. My relationship with Jah
2. My relationship with my husband
3. My relationships with my children and grandchildren
4. My relationships with my Mom and my siblings
5. Jamaica
6. Beading
7. Reading
8. Blogging

8 Things I Want To Do Before I Die:

1. Grow closer to Jah
2. Visit Africa
3. Teach another person to read (I'm a trained literacy tutor and have taught adults.)
4. Teach another beading class (I've taught three so far.)
5. Improve my beading skills
6. Increase my blog readership
7. Re-read every book in my personal library
8. Face death without fear, knowing I will be I-ternally safe in Jah’s heavenly mansion

8 Things I Often Say:

1. I love you.
2. Blessed love
3. Jah guide
4. Be safe
5. Call when you get home, so I know you reached safely.
6. I wish there was a decent bead shop in Jamaica.
7. Let’s dance!
8. I need a dip in the sea today.

8 Books I’ve Recently Read

1. Exile – Richard North Patterson
2. Overstanding Rastafari, Jamaica’s Gift to the World – Yasus Afari (3rd reading)
3. Lisey’s Story – Stephen King
4. Salt Roads – Nalo Hopkinson (2nd reading)
5. Natural Cures “They” Don’t Want You To Know About – Kevin Trudeau
6. Shalimar the Clown – Salman Rushdie
7. Bloodlines – Jan Burke
8. Prior Bad Acts – Tami Hoag

8 Songs I Could Listen to Over and Over

1. Redemption Song – Bob Marley
2. Black Heart Man – Bunny Wailer
3. Steppin’ Razor – Peter Tosh
4. Young, Gifted and Black – Aretha Franklin
5. Wrong Address - Etana
6. Show Some Emotion – Joan Armatrading
7. For Your Eyes Only – Sheena Easton (played at our wedding)
8. At This Point In My Life – Tracy Chapman

8 Things That Attract Me To My Best Friends

My best friends are my Mom and my three sisters, all of whom love me unconditionally, even though they can’t fully comprehend why I would choose to live in Jamaica when I have the right to live in America.

8 People Who I Think Should Do The Crazy 8’s Meme

I haven’t been blogging long enough to have established a close relationship with 8 other bloggers. If Sistren Irie Diva hadn’t tagged me for this meme, she would surely be on my list. I do not claim to have a relationship with anyone listed here. I’m just curious.

1. Pearl of Beading Gem's Journal
2. Ann of MoBay Day by Day
3. F. Wade of Moving to Jamaica
4. P. Mordeci of Jah’s World
5. Wallace of Cronicas de Vellila

Looks like I didn’t make it to 8 for the last two categories. Such is life!

3 Shared Thoughts:

WALLACE said...

HI, LADY ROOTS, I´M VERY HAPPY FOR YOUR VISIT, AND REGARDING TO MEME, I WILL TRY IT.

rEGARDS. FROM SPAIN

The Beading Gem said...

How sweet of you to be thinking of me!

LADY ROOTS said...

Idren Wallace,
I was happy to visit and glad I finally figured out to translate via BabelFish before trying to post a comment. Looking forward to your meme.

Sistren Pearl,
Even on days I don't get to the internet, I think of you and lift your name in prayer. You have become important to me.

Bless Up,
Lady Roots