March 31, 2008

Netted Druks

.
A toggle designed by Geneva Beck was the inspiration for this bracelet. I found the instructions for the toggle clasp in the June 2007 issue of Bead and Button magazine. I wondered how it would look if I just continued beading the same netting stitch in the toggle instructions until it was long enough to make a bracelet. The bracelet is made with black seed beads and 4MM druks in varigated browns and greens. The clasp is made from recycled refrigerator magnets beaded into end caps.

Yes, I know there are magnetic clasps available to buy, but I don't live near a LBS (local bead store) and the beading muse insisted that this piece not wait. So, I found some old refrigerator magnets and used a tubular brick stitch to enclose them.

This will show you what the same netted stitch looks like as a toggle clasp. Geneva's design was originally done with seed beads and crystals. So far, I've tried it with faux pearls and now with druks.

4 Shared Thoughts:

The Beading Gem said...

I love the colour combination you used here. Nice touch!

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Pearl,

Thanks for the compliment! I am so often limited by the colours in my dwindling bead stash.

Since posting the shots of the bracelet, I used the last of the green and brown druks to make a matching pair of earrings and a pinky ring.

I wish there was a decent bead shop in Jamaica!

Bless Up,
Lady Roots

Bori said...

Beautiful colours! I like this bracelet :)))

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Bori,

Welcome back! I am delighted you have visited again.

Thank you for the kind words about the bracelet. I was trying to mimic the colours in camaflouge material. I had the 4MM druks for over a year, but I was waiting for the inspiration on the best way to use them.

I am pleased that it has brought enjoyment to you and to Sistren Pearl.

Bless Up,
Lady Roots